Welfare and Employment Support
COVID19 Economic Response Package
The Economic Response package is a significant commitment and investment towards our people.
This page provides details on how the Ministry of Internal Affairs can provide you and your family support in regards to welfare and employment through this package. For additional information on the Economic Response Package refer to of Ministry of Finance and Economic Management.
WELCOME TO INTERNAL AFFAIRS
Kia orana Welcome to the Cook Islands Ministry of Internal Affairs online. The Ministry of Internal Affairs is the government agency responsible for:
- payment of welfare benefits, including the Government Funded Paid Maternity Leave scheme .
- developing and implementing social policies to improve the lives of the vulnerable children, young people and their families, elderly people and people with disabilities and women
- ensuring that workers are protected and employer’s comply with employment law and other workplace obligations such as occupational health and safety, dangerous goods licensing and workers’ compensation
- ensuring consumers are protected through fair trade practices and appropriate price controls.
- ensuring that films and other relevant forms of media are appropriately censored for general public viewing
- regular cleaning and maintenance of public roads to ensure road safety
- social service providers in the Cook Islands
- applications to the Social Impact Fund and information about the Gender project
- Anga’anga Tūkatau – Employment Service targets both recruitment and supports the objective of promoting fair and decent working conditions in the workplace based on best practice for all Cook Islanders. It connects people and employment-related networks and links to the Ministry of Internal Affairs Labour, social and welfare information and services.
The Ministry delivers these responsibilities though seven outputs: welfare services; social policy and services (children and families, youth, women and people with disabilities); consumer policy; labour policy; dangerous goods; community services; censorship services; and corporate services. You can download public documents, facts sheets and application forms from Publications. You can find information on each area of responsibility in About Us. Please Contact Us for further information or specific enquiries.