• Payment for adult individuals who is facing hardship and unable to support self financially by own means or labor.
• A payment of $100 will be paid out on the 1st and the 16th of each month.
• Persons 18 years and over.
• Cook Islander and Permanent Resident.
• Residing in the Cook Islands.
• Destitute benefit will cease once a beneficiary of this benefit qualifies for the Cook Islands Pension at the age of 60 years or over.
The period recipient of the Welfare Benefit are allowed overseas while still receiving the benefit depends on the payment that you receive, for example:
- Old Age Benefit– you can receive your benefit for up to six months absence from the Cook Islands
- Child Benefit– you can receive the benefit for up to 4 weeks absence of the child from the Cook Islands
- Destitute, Infirmed & Care-giver allowance– you can receive the payment for up to one month absence from the Cook Islands
Recipient of the Cook Islands Benefit must immediately inform Ministry of Internal Affairs if:
- intending to travel overseas, whether for holiday or permanently
- personal details change (name, address or bank account)
- granted an overseas benefit or pension
- living arrangement and circumstances changes