Kia orana Welcome to the Cook Islands Ministry of Internal Affairs online. The Ministry of Internal Affairs is the government agency responsible for:
- payment of welfare benefits, including the Government Funded Paid Maternity Leave scheme .
- developing and implementing social policies to improve the lives of the vulnerable children, young people and their families, elderly people and people with disabilities and women
- ensuring that workers are protected and employer’s comply with employment law and other workplace obligations such as occupational health and safety, dangerous goods licensing and workers’ compensation
- ensuring consumers are protected through fair trade practices and appropriate price controls.
- ensuring that films and other relevant forms of media are appropriately censored for general public viewing
- regular cleaning and maintenance of public roads to ensure road safety
- social service providers in the Cook Islands
- applications to the Social Impact Fund and information about the Gender project
The Ministry delivers these responsibilities though seven outputs: welfare services; social policy and services (children and families, youth, women and people with disabilities); consumer policy; labour policy; dangerous goods; community services; censorship services; and corporate services. You can download public documents, facts sheets and application forms from Publications. You can find information on each area of responsibility in About Us. Please Contact Us for further information or specific enquiries.